Pool Safety and Rules
For the safety and enjoyment of all pool patrons, the following pool regulations have been developed. Please follow the instructions of the pool staff, as they are responsible for the enforcement of all pool regulations.
· Swimsuits are required to enter the water at the pools. No cutoffs, gym shorts or suits with loose strings are allowed. To determine if your swimwear is Auburn City Pools-approved, please view our Appropriate Swimwear page.
· Breath-holding games and prolonged breath-holding is BANNED at all City of Auburn pool facilities.
· Smoking and/or vaping is not permitted at or in the pools.
· Glass bottles/containers and alcohol is not permitted at the pools.
· Patrons should take a cleansing shower before entering the pool.
· No persons with open sores, skin diseases or bandages may enter the water.
· Boisterous or rough play is not permitted.
· Pets are NOT allowed at the pool facility.
· No pushing or running is permitted.
· No profanity.
· Avoid interfering with the duties of a lifeguard.
· Lap swim is for adults only (swimmers age 16 or older).
· All patrons must comply with the directions of the lifeguards.
· Patrons are not allowed to play, sit, stand or hang on the lane lines.
· Spitting, urinating, or otherwise contaminating the pool or pool deck is prohibited.
· Patrons are allowed to jump in the main pool in a forward direction only, no backward jumping allowed. No flips are allowed from the side of the main pool. Flips are allowed only from the diving boards.
· Payment grants access to the pool all day as long as the patron has signed in, this includes special events and evening swim. Patrons who intend to leave and come back should ensure that they are signed in before doing so.
Patrons will be verbally warned for the first offense. For the second offense, the patron must exit the water for 15 minutes. For the third offense, the patron may be dismissed from the facility for the remainder of the day. This process may be modified depending on the severity of the offense. If a patron is asked to leave the pool facility on three different occasions for inappropriate behavior or failure to follow the rules, the patron may be banned for the remainder of the season by the Aquatics Coordinator.
· Children ages 9 & under must be accompanied by a parent/guardian age 19 or older at all times.
· Children ages 10 – 12 who wish to swim unaccompanied by a parent/guardian must pass a swim test.
· Children ages 13 & older are allowed to swim unaccompanied by a parent/guardian, but could be subject to a swim test at the lifeguards' discretion.
Diving Well and Diving Boards
· No swimming is permitted in the diving well except when monitored by a staff member (such as for swim tests or games).
· Backflips and backward jumps are prohibited from the high board.
· Children under 6 years of age are prohibited from using the diving boards.
· Children under 13 years of age are required to take a diving board test
and must meet the height requirement of 4 ft. in order to use the diving boards.
· Anyone over the age of 13 years may be subject to take a diving board test.
· Running off the board is not permitted.
· Noodles and Type I, II and III Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) are the ONLY PFDs allowed in the pool.
No other flotation devices may be worn.
· Life vests are available at no charge on a first-come, first-serve basis
· To determine if your PFD is Auburn City Pools-approved, please view our Approved Floatation Devices page.
To determine the US Coast Guard rating for your PFD, visit the US Coast Guard Selection, Use, Wear & Care page.
Infants, Toddlers and Small Children
· Infants and toddlers who are not toilet-trained must wear waterproof diapers with fitted elastic around each leg.
· The baby pool is limited to children aged 6 years and younger.
· Children in the baby pool must be monitored by a guardian at all times.
· Toys are prohibited in the diving well unless under the direct supervision of the lifeguards (i.e. during water polo)
· Small toys, i.e. small balls and sinking toys are allowed in the baby pool and main pool as long as they do not interfere with other patrons using the facility.
· Balls are permitted only if they are soft, such as the following: Kush balls, foam balls and Nerf balls.
· No tennis, racquet, lacrosse or hard balls allowed.
Food and Drinks
· We feature a small snack bar at our pools that provide snacks and beverages to purchase.
· Patrons may bring their own food and drinks to the pool.
· Please note that glass bottles/containers and alcohol are NOT permitted at the pools. If staff suspects that you have brought these items onto the premises, you may be asked to show your cooler or be ejected from the pool.
· Trash receptacles and recycling bins are placed around the deck for our patrons' convenience.
· No loitering or “horseplay” is permitted in the locker rooms.
· All cell phone use is prohibited inside the locker room (due to privacy issues concerning camera phones).
Pool Closure/Severe Weather Policy
The City will close a pool if any of the following conditions exist:
· Thunder and/or Lightning: The pools will be cleared of swimmers and will be kept clear until 30 minutes have passed without hearing thunder or seeing lightning. This also applies when the City of Auburn detects lightning within 10 miles of the facility. If two hours pass, during which patrons are unable to swim as a result of the inclement weather, the pool will be closed for the remainder of the day. Notices will be posted and an e-Notifier will be sent.
· Severe Weather: If heavy rain is present such that the lifeguards cannot clearly see the bottom of the pool, patrons will be asked to clear the pool until the rain abates. If two hours pass, during which patrons are unable to swim as a result of the inclement weather, the pool will be closed for the remainder of the day. Notices will be posted and an e-Notifier will be sent.
· Illness or Fecal Accident: If a patron becomes ill while in the pool or has a fecal accident, patrons will be directed to leave the pool. If the illness occurs in the baby pool, the baby pool will be shut down for the remainder of the day; however, the main pool and diving well can remain open. If the illness occurs in the main pool and/or diving well, then the entire facility will be closed for the remainder of the day. Notices will be posted and an e-Notifier will be sent.
· Mechanical failure or environmental hazard: This includes a chemical imbalance in the water. If the imbalance occurs in the baby pool, the baby pool will be shut down until the imbalance is corrected; however, the main pool and diving well will remain open. If the imbalance occurs in the main pool and/or diving well, then the entire facility will be closed until the imbalance is corrected. Notices will be posted and an e-Notifier will be sent.
· A swimming or dive meet is scheduled (this applies to Samford Pool only). Notices will be posted and an e-Notifier will be sent.
· For a scheduled closing. Notices will be posted and an e-Notifier will be sent.
It is the policy of the Auburn Parks and Recreation department that there will be NO refunds for the closing of a facility due to inclement weather. If the facility is able to reopen after the weather has passed, there will be no charge to re-enter the facility. If you have any questions regarding the pool schedule, please call Auburn Parks and Recreation at 334-501-2930, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., or call the pool directly at (334) 501 - 2957 for Samford Pool and (334) 501 - 2958 for Drake Pool.
If you would like to be added to the Parks and Rec. Pool Announcement List, please sign-up for our e-Notifier. Every time the pool is closed for inclement weather or for other reasons, you will receive an e-mail notification.