The Auburn Public Library inspires, enriches, and delights our residents with vital and valuable resources, services, and experiences.
Our Guiding Principles
- Our community is at the heart of everything we do. We provide Auburn citizens with programs, resources, and services that inform, inspire, delight, and amaze. We do our part to make Auburn a great place to live, work, learn, and play. We innovate, change, and grow just as our community does the same. We believe that a public library is judged not by the size of its collection or its buildings, but by how it is relevant, useful, and valuable to its community.
- People always come first. We make people feel welcome when they enter and appreciated when they leave. We provide high-quality service that is courteous, pleasant, and solution-oriented. Policies and procedures exist to make the library easier, not harder, to use. We give patrons the benefit of the doubt, and we treat everyone as we would like to be treated.
- We work as a team. Every employee has an important role in our ability to provide the best possible library service to our customers. We exhibit respect, fairness, and integrity in all of our interactions with one another. We presume positive intent, and we look for opportunities to celebrate awesomeness. We work hard, we take care of each other, and we persevere.
Our Library Service Roles
- Library as collection - The Auburn Public Library will make available a collection that reflects the varied interests of our dynamic community, in a variety of mediums. Our collection will enable minimal wait times, serendipitous discovery, and lucky days.
- Library as community connector - The Auburn Public Library will be the first choice for reliable information for Auburn residents. The library will be an integral and vital partner in our community, one that connects Auburn residents with local agencies and with each other, so that our city can be a great place to live, work, learn, and play.
- Library as literacy and learning leader - The Auburn Public Library will help cultivate a community that is active, engaged, and informed. To this end, the Auburn Public Library will help children enter school ready to learn, help adults pursue their personal interests, help jobseekers find employment, and help all residents feel socially included.
- Library as place - The Auburn Public Library will be a welcoming, safe, and comfortable destination, both in person and online. Our spaces will support and foster a variety of activities, including independent study, collaborative work, meetings, and recreation. Library spaces will be flexible and adaptive in order to address the needs of our growing and dynamic community.
- Library as technology resource - The Auburn Public Library will provide our community with the best public technology possible so that people can achieve their personal, professional, and educational goals. To this end, the library will connect people with the online world and help them navigate the information landscape of the 21stcentury. Additionally, library staff will use technology effectively to help them deliver excellent library service.
Our Library Service Priorities
- Accessibility & Openness – Our patrons will have safe, welcoming spaces that support a variety of activities, as well as virtual spaces that support access to library services and resources.
- Literacy & Education – Our patrons will have programs and services that support literacy and lifelong learning.
- Community Engagement – Our patrons will have opportunities to engage with the library, with the world around them, and with each other.