Voter Resources

  1. Elections
  2. Office of the City Manager

City Hall

144 Tichenor Ave, Suite 1

  1. Email:
  2. Phone: (334) 501-7260
  3. Hours:  M-F: 8AM-5PM

David D. Dorton

Director of Public Affairs

  1. Phone: (334) 501-7266
  2. Email:

Registering to Vote

Auburn residents register to vote with the State of Alabama through the Lee County Board of Registrars.

Applications to register to vote may be picked up at City Hall and mailed directly to the Board of Registrars or you can contact them directly at:

Lee County Board of Registrars
Phone: (334) 737-3635
Toll free: 1-800-239-4469 Ext. 5
215 South 9th Street
P.O. Box 1530
Opelika, AL 36803

The Lee County Board of Registrars' office is located on the first floor of the Lee County Courthouse on South 9th Street between Avenue A and Avenue B. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Alabama law requires that voters must be registered to vote at least 14 days prior to the election in which they plan to vote (Alabama Election Law 17-3-50).

Photo Voter ID

As of June 2014, Alabama law now requires all voters to have a specific type of photo identification at the polls to vote. Voters can use any of following forms of photo ID:

  • Valid Driver's License
  • Valid Non-Driver ID
  • Valid Alabama Photo Voter ID
  • Valid State Issued ID (Alabama or any other state)
  • Valid Federal Issued ID
  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Valid Employee ID from Federal Government, State of Alabama, County Government, Municipality, Board, Authority or other entity of this state
  • Valid student or employee ID from a college or university in the state of Alabama (including postgraduate technical or professional schools)
  • Valid Military ID
  • Valid Tribal ID

Auburn voters without an approved photo ID can receive a free Alabama photo voter ID from the Lee County Board of Registrars office, the Secretary of State's Office and a mobile location to be determined by the Secretary of State's Office.

Voters who are required to present a valid photo ID but do not do so will be allowed to vote a provisional ballot as provided by law.

A voter who does not have a valid photo ID in his or her possession at the polls will be permitted to vote if two election officials positively identify the individual as a voter on the poll list who is eligible to vote. The election officials sign a sworn affidavit so stating.

For more information, visit the Alabama Secretary of State's website or call the Elections Division at 1-800-274-8683.

Absentee Ballots

Eligible voters who are unable to physically visit a polling place on an election day may cast a ballot in advance. Voters may cast an absentee ballot if he or she:

  • will be absent from the county on election day.
  • is ill or has a physical disability that prevents a trip to the polling place.
  • is a registered Alabama voter living outside the county, such as a member of the armed forces, a voter employed outside the United States, a college student or a spouse or child of such a person.
  • is an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling place other than his or her regular polling place.
  • works a required shift, 10 hours or more, that coincides with polling hours.

Business or medical emergency voting applications can be made after the absentee deadline but no later than 5 p.m. on the day before the election if the voter:

  • is required by an employer under unforeseen circumstances to be out of the country on election day for an emergency business trip.
  • has a medical emergency requiring treatment from a licensed physician.

Auburn residents can apply for absentee voting at the Absentee Election Office in the Lee County Meeting Center at 205 S. 10th St. in Opelika. Completed applications can also be mailed with one application in each envelope to the Lee County Circuit Clerk at the following address:

Mary B. Roberson, Absentee Manager
P.O. Box 1616
Opelika, AL 36803

A ballot will then be mailed to you at the address you indicate. For more information, call the Absentee Election Office at (334) 737-3490.