- Election Type
- Council Appointed
- Election Term
- 3 Year Term
- Meeting Time
- Monthly, 1st Wednesday, 4:30pm
- Meeting Location
- Council Chambers, 141 N. Ross St.
Board of Zoning Adjustment Video:
Agendas and Minutes
2023 Board of Zoning Adjustment Deadline and Meeting Calendar
The Board of Zoning Adjustment heretofore established is continued, and shall be appointed as provided by State law.
No member of the Board shall vote upon any matter in which he or she, a spouse or a dependent has a direct interest; and no member of the Board shall vote upon any matter involving a business with which he or she, a spouse or dependent has any interest or ownership.
The board shall have the following powers and duties:
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment shall adopt rules necessary to the conduct of its affairs and in keeping with the provisions of this Ordinance. Meetings shall be held at the call of the chairman, or any three (3) members, at such times and places as the Board may determine. The chairman, or in his absence the acting chairman, may administer oaths and compel the attendance of witnesses. All meetings shall be open to the public.
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment shall keep minutes of its proceedings, showing the vote of each member upon each question, or if absent or failing to vote indicating such fact, and shall keep records of its examinations and other official actions, all of which shall be a public record and be immediately filed in the office of the Board.
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment shall hear and decide appeals from a decision of the Planning Director made in the performance of his duties.
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment shall hear and decide all petitions for variances, as provided for in Article 9 of the Auburn Zoning Ordinance.
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment shall hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the Planning Director or the Senior Building Inspector in the enforcement of the Auburn Zoning Ordinance.
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment may cause, at its discretion, the posting of notice in the form of a sign on property that is subject to a public hearing on matters coming before it.
|Board Details||Enabling Legislation|
|Consists of five members and two supernumerary positions||Section 11-52-80(a) of the Code of Alabama|
|Council appointed||Section 11-52-80(a) of the Code of Alabama|
|Qualifications: Must be an Auburn resident and registered to vote in Auburn||Section 11-52-80(a) of the Code of Alabama|
|Three-year terms||Section 11-52-80(a) of the Code of Alabama|
|Meets the first Wednesday of every month at 4:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber||Meetings called by board chairman, Section 11-52-80(b) of the Code of Alabama|